TOWNSMAN - THE BULLETIN - THE FREE PRESS
The history of Rotary in Kimberley is a history of service, and a lasting legacy for all to enjoy.
Kimberley Rotary first met in October 1941 at K.P. Hall, and their first guest was H. McKowan, president of the Cranbrook Rotary Club. Kimberley received its official charter and engraved brass meeting bell in February of 1942, says club historian J.J. Johansen.
The first project was a playground, located right next to the high school (now McKim School) on what is now Rotary Drive. Kimberley Rotary continues to upgrade and add to this park, the latest being the addition of accessible swings and other improvements this year.
All of Rotary's projects are made possible through fundraising, and Kimberley Rotarians can be found at all kinds of events. For instance, Rotary members provide assistance at JulyFest, and their deluxe pancake wagon can be found in the Platzl many times throughout the summer, providing pancake breakfasts for various festivals.
Another big fundraiser is the annual LobsterFest. LobsterFest IV will be held at the Kimberley Conference and Athlete Training Centre on June 15, 2013.
The Lobsters are flown in live from the east coast of Canada and served up to hungry guests. This event is always a sell-out and a great fundraiser. And of course the lobster is all cooked by Rotarians donating their time.
Kimberley Rotarians are never afraid to get their hands dirty in support of a good cause, whether it's cooking or working a grub-hoe on trail development.
Service above self is the Rotary motto, and Kimberley Rotarians are proud to live up to those words.
Kimberley Rotary meets Wednesdays at noon at B.J. Restaurant in Kimberley.
Carolyn Grant - Editor
Kimberley Daily Bulletin
For inquiries or submissions to Kimberley Keepers, please contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org - Click Here