The history of the Kimberley Pipe Band began in 1926 when Angus Scott came from his native land to work for the Company at the Sullivan Mine. His brother joined him in 1927 and with the help of a small group of enthusiastic pipers and drummers, a pipe band was established in Kimberley.
The Band made its first public appearance in the Kimberley Day parade on July 1, 1927. Marching with Pipe Major Angus Scott were Dick Burke, Jim Ewing, Hugh Fraser, Alex Fergus, Gordie Taylor and Hamish Scott.
In the early days the Band played in Kimberley on national holidays and special events. In 1936 the Band accompanied the Kimberley Dynamiters to Calgary where the Dynamiters won the Western finals and went on to Fort William to win the Allen Cup.
By 1937 the activities of the Band had increased to where they had to get some pipers. Uniforms were also needed - at one parade the pipers wore uniforms loaned from the Calgary Highlanders.
In 1937 Mine Superintendent, Bill Lindsay, an ardent supporter of the Band, offered his assistance. Advertisements for pipers and drummers soon paid off and the Band was increased to 11 members. A fund-raising project was also launched and the Band was able to buy new uniforms at $110 each.
During World War 2, the band was attached to the 17th Independent Field Squadron, Royal Canadian Engineers. Several of the members enlisted in Armed Forces, but the Band at home continued to do their part in the War effort.
The effort and dedication of the Scott brothers and the other Pipe Band members were not forgotten. In 1955, when Angus Scott died, a small Band in Coeur d'alene, Idaho, chose to honour the Kimberley Band by calling themselves the "Angus Scott Pipe Band". Many of the Idaho pipers had been taught by Kimberley members and it is a tribute that the Angus Scott Pipe Band is active today.
In 1967 another fund-raising campaign was organized to buy new uniforms which by now cost $260 each, and with the help of Richard Walkley, the uniforms were purchased the same year.
During the visit of Queen Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Anne, to Fort Steele in 1971, the thirteen-member Band under the capable direction of Pipe Major Gordon Stewart, performed for the regal party.
The next few years were notable for many auspicious occasions at which the Band performed. In 1974 they played at Expo '74 in Spokane, and in 1975 they were invited to play at the dedication of the Libby Dam in Montana where President Gerald Ford and Canada's representative, Donald MacDonald, were present. For their participation, they received "Certificates of Appreciation" from the Libby Chamber of Commerce and the Army Engineer Corps of the Libby Dam. The Band also played for Prime Minister Trudeau when he visited the Kootenays.
In 1977 the Pipe Band celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary with a giant tattoo and ceildih to mark this milestone of service. A history book illustrating the Band's activities, and the people that were involved in the Band since 1927, was published to commemorate the anniversary.
The Kimberley Pipe Band have been ambassadors for Kimberley, locally, provincially and internationally and have provided pleasure for thousands of people during their more than fifty years of service.
Be it royalty, a president, a celebration, parade, civic or community event, big or small, or a solemn occasion, the Pipe Band can most always be counted on to leave what they are doing and turn out for the event, not for money or glory, but for Kimberley.
Kimberley can indeed be proud of their Pipe Band which has provided such outstanding service for over fifty years and hope that they will be active for at least another fifty years.
For inquiries or submissions to Kimberley Keepers, please contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org - Click Here