Banner Ad




Kimberley Families

The Paterson Family
as told by son, Jim

Henry (Harry) Paterson was born in Elgin, Scotland, and he married Clemintine Gold from Kerrimulr, Scotland. They had one daughter, Barbara, born in Scotland, before they came to Canada. She was still an infant when they arrived in Edmonton, where Mrs. Paterson had relatives. She remained with them while Harry went logging at Lesser Slave Lake for a time. A second daughter, Betty, was born in Edmonton.

They were acquainted with the McKinnons that owned and operated the Canadian Hotel in Kimberley and they were encouraged to come where they could live together as a family. This was in 1924. Harry went to work in the rockhouse where the ore from the Mine was crushed. He became foreman of the plant and there was one year when both his father, George Paterson, and his father-in-law, James Gold, were working un- der him.

Three more children were born in Kimberley: Jim, Mabel and George.

In the early 1950's, the crushing chamber was moved underground and Harry continued to work there until his health began to bother him, and he was transferred outside and was a securi- ty guard at the Mine gatehouse. He retired in 1964 after forty years service. He passed away in 1976 and Mrs. Paterson died in 1978.

Barbara joined the Army where she met Allen Curtis of Vancouver. They were both in the medical corp. Barbara was in the offices. They were married and have two sons: Rich and Carl. They were stationed in Germany for two years in the Army Medical Corp, until Allen was discharged and retired. They now reside at Moyie Lake.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Paterson

Betty married Bob Bingham originally from Golden. They reside in Nanaimo and have four sons: Wayne, Glen, Bruce and Grant.

Jim had many memories of growing up in Kimberley. He would hike up to the Top Mine cookhouse or go fishing in the creek. He can remember riding around on the cart that delivered meat for Burns' with "Dutch" Fan- drick. One memorable experience, when he was sixteen, was going hunting with his father in the White Swan Lake area. He had shot a deer, but when his father went to cut his throat, it being only wounded jumped up and one of its hooves split open the palm of his father's hand badly. Jim had done very little driving, but he drove that day! By the time they reached TaTa Creek, his father had lost a lot of blood and when they had a flat tire to complicate the situation, some friends came along and rushed Harry to the hospital.

Jim began working for the Company in 1943 on the outside crew, commonly called the "bull" gang. He worked in the rockhouse for a time and spent a year on the back-fill. He worked four years in the car shop before going underground, where he was on the conveyor in the crushing chamber.

He spent a year and a half training in the Army at Wetaskiwin, Petewawa and, finally, Camp McDonald near Portage La Prairie, but the war ended before he entered active duty.

Jim married Joyce Williams from Calgary and they have three sons: Terry, Jack and Kevin. Terry is an electrician for the Company and married Shirley McQuarrie. Jack trained to be a baker with Super Value, but preferred out- side work so is now in charge of the Fort Steele Clydesdale horses. Kevin is still a student.

Mable married Jim Glennie. He took an ap- prenticeship in welding with the Company. He is now a welder for a paving company in Courtenay. They have two children: Bob and Linda.

George married a nurse from Calgary and they had two sons. They were divorced, and George married Angela Jobe. He drives the Company Mail Van and he still lives in Kimberley.

Jim has been active on the Company Welfare Committee and spent three years on the Parks Board. He was interested in minor hockey and baseball when his sons were young.

Four years ago, Joyce and Jim purchased an acreage near Wycliffe, where they now reside, and Jim plans an early retirement where he can enjoy the outdoors, after many years underground.

Twitter Facebook Google+


Banner Ad