Banner Ad




Kimberley Families

The McLellan Family

as told by son, Jimmy

Everett McLellan was born in Truro, Nova Scotia. He worked on fish boats and also in a canning factory. He had two brothers and two sisters living in the West Kootenay, who encouraged him to come west and live in the Ainsworth area. After moving there, he worked as a teamster, hauling ore from some of the small mines in the area, to the wharf where it was loaded on the lake boats.

Everett went overseas during the First World War and met and married Ellen Mary Trinder. A son James and a daughter Kathleen (Kay) were born in England, before their return to Ainsworth, after the war. He worked for a time at the Bluebell Mine at Riondel, which was across the lake from Ainsworth. Two more sons were born, John in Kaslo and Lloyd in Nelson.

In the spring of 1921, Everett came to Kimberley and started work with the Company at the Mine. The family moved over in the fall of the same year. While working at the Mine, he went into a partnership with Charlie Bernard in the transfer business. He delivered coal and wood with a team of horses, but the job only lasted a short time.

When Everett retired, they moved to White Rock, B.C., but soon moved back to this area and lived in Cranbrook where they both passed away.

Jimmy's first school teacher was a Miss Fox who taught in the single building Central School. He also remembers Miss Diebolt who taught school in the old Ontario Hotel and later at the Central School. Another memory was the long walk up to the Top Mine where he helped Percy Moody deliver the Seattle P.I. (Post Intelligencer).

When the old board sidewalks in the town were being torn up and replaced, he remembers the kids following along after the work crew and looking for coins that had dropped through the cracks over the years.

When Jimmy quit school, he went to work for Pete Woods at Cherry Creek, where he helped to milk the cows and do some dairy work. He also worked for the Mountain View Dairy operated by Herb McClure. For a short time in 1935 he worked for P. Burns Butcher Shop, delivering meat. Jim Butcher was the manager at the time.

In 1936 he started work with the Company at the Mine and went through the usual stages of work, shovelling ore into cars, transportation and finally a first class miner.

Jimmy did some boxing in his youth and started his training under Mr. Salter at the McDougall Hall. He continued his boxing when Herb Stanton became the trainer and sparred with Murdo Morrison, Hugh Fraser, Bill Boyd and Brin Blayney. He enjoyed playing badminton and won the men's single city championship in 1940.

In 1940 he married a Cranbrook girl, Maizie Stewart and they have four children, Penny, Gerry, Jimmy and Stuart. Penny married Larry Tuck, a heavy duty mechanic for the Company and they have two sons. Gerry is in Calgary and worked for Calgary Herald. Jimmy Jr. is an auto body mechanic and works at the Kimberley Auto Body Shop. Stuart lives in Edmonton and is in the real estate business.

Jimmy Sr. went overseas in 1943 with the Royal Canadian Engineers. He was transferred to the Royal Canadian Regiment and saw action in Italy, Germany, Holland and Belgium.

John McLellan married a Cranbrook girl, Leone Carroll and they live in Cranbrook and have several children.

Lloyd married a Kimberley girl, Isobell Pattinson and they had two girls. Isobell was a school teacher and taught in the old Meadowbrook School. Lloyd went overseas with the Canadian Army and was captured at Dieppe and taken a prisoner of war with Henry Wik. Lloyd died in a mine accident in Kimberley.

Kathleen married Alex Watson, who worked in the Mine in Kimberley for awhile and they moved to Vancouver where he is in the construction business.

Jimmy retired in 1975 after thirty-nine and a half years with the Company. The McLellans plan to stay in Kimberley, Jimmy says he wouldn't trade this town for any other place in the world.

Twitter Facebook Google+


Banner Ad