Banner Ad




Kimberley Families

The Faulds Family

as told by Billy Faulds

Soccer was what eventually brought Billy Faulds to Kimberley. He was born William Lindsay Faulds, in Lark Hall, eleven miles from Glasgow. He was one of two boys and seven girls. His brother, John, became Band Master, but Billy preferred the game of soccer and started playing on his school team at age eleven. At the age of fourteen, he started working in the coal mines in Lanarkshire.

In 1921, during the long strike of the miners in Scotland, he was encouraged to come to Canada where mining and soccer were both available. His first job was at Mountain Park, Alberta. Being an ambitious young man, he kept looking for more action and went to Nanaimo, B.C. He would have remained in Edmonton, Alberta, working for the North West Biscuit Factory and playing soccer on their team, but felt he knew more about mining.

While working in Nanaimo, he drove a mule. in the coal mine underground, and his love of soccer and band music kept him busy in his off duty hours. He played cornet in the band. Every Saturday would find him in Vancouver playing soccer for one of their teams. He then went to work in the copper mill at Britannia Beach and played for their soccer team.

Billy and Laura Faulds

It was here he met Laura Madore. She had been born in Rossland, B.C. but her father got work at Britannia Beach, so they moved there when she was nine years old. She was one of six children, five girls and one boy. There was no high school in Britannia Beach, so she spent a few years in San Diego, California with three aunts while attending school there. Her mother and three sisters were all dressmakers, originally from Boston. In those days women of fashion choose material and a pattern and had their gowns made to order. It was in this atmosphere that Laura gained her knowledge of clothing. Laura worked in Marcella's Dress Shop before taking over Mrs. Ruby Brown's Millinery Shop. Lorne Glennie and Paul Lauzon were responsible for decorating her new shop. She expanded from making hats to selling ladies wear until she sold out in 1974.

In the meantime, they raised two daughters, Isobel, now Mrs. Kendrick, living in Richmond with three children, and Mary Lou, Mrs. Len Westnidge, still living in Kimberley. Her husband is a Mine worker for the Company and they also have three children: Mitch, Lynn and Judy.

Laura was working as the receptionist and telephone operator in the general offices of the Britannia Beach Copper Company when she met Billy.

He arrived in Kimberley on Easter Sunday of 1927. Donny Maclean had interested him in coming to play soccer for the Tunnel team. There was great rivalry between the Top Mine, Tunnel and Concentrator teams. A fourth team called Blarchmont Park, also took part in competitive games.

He was a bit embarrassed when "Roaring" Bill Lindsay asked him his full name, William Lindsay Faulds.

He first worked for Sam Alexander with Jim Scott, Jimmy Jordan, Alex Archibald and Charlie James at the Company dam. When winter came and it got below zero for days, the walk to the dam each morning nearly froze a person. Billy asked for a job underground, where it was warmer. He went to work for Harry Parsons on the timber gang. For a time he learned welding from George Martin, but by this time he and Laura were married and steady afternoon shift did not appeal to the honeymoon couple, so he went back mining.

For a time he went barring with a partner, Fred Wilkinson. Len Sortome was the shift boss. At this time, one of the stopes had a sluff of ore that could have been very serious. It was dangerous work, but they were given the job of making the place safe for miners. The cross shift of barmen on this job were John Ekskog and Johnny Mac Donald, Mike Starkovitch and Charlie Greenland. Billy retired at sixty due to chronic bronchitis.

Billy became a referee for soccer games in the area. He still played the odd game when players were short. He recalls one game when he was fifty-one and became a grandfather the same day. He last played in Fernie, a benefit game, at age fifty-five.

Billy and Laura have contributed much time and effort in the forming of the North Star Figure Skating Club. Bill Campbell was President and Billy, Vice-president. Laura was in charge of costumes. Also on this committee were Mamie Shiells and Dora Ryder. One year, in order to raise money, they sold tickets on a barrel race. George Lowe and Bill Wilson threw a barrel in Mark Creek at the bridge at the end of Spokane Street. Billy was the timer. They followed it down stream and when it reached the bridge at Marysville, the official time guess was won by Dr. O'Callaghan, the Kimberley surgeon at the time. The first out-of-town skaters to perform at one of the carnivals were the Harvey sisters and Betty Pearson.

Billy and Laura also sang in the choir at Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Billy was a soloist and once sang for three different weddings in one day. Then on three consecutive Saturdays he sang solos at weddings in the Presbyterian, the United and Catholic churches.

Billy has been responsible for putting on several plays for Kimberley's entertainment. He once wrote a play for St. Andrews night and also managed to incorporate two hundred and eleven Scouts, Cubs, Guides and Brownies in a spectacular play about Camp Stone. One memorable quartet included Gino Mandoli, Jack Price, George James and Billy Faulds.

Billy and Laura own a lovely summer home on Columbia Lake, but spend their winters in an apartment in Kimberley.

Twitter Facebook Google+


Banner Ad