Banner Ad




Kimberley Families

The Brown Family
as told by Son, Glen

David George Brown was the first white child born in a small place called Cascade. The year was 1899.

His father was a guide and ran a pack train in the Lardeau country. In 1902, he and his entire string of horses and equipment disappeared without a trace and has never been found. It is believed they may have been completely buried in a rock slide.

When David was sixteen, he joined the Army, but during training his age was discovered and he was sent home. He worked at various mines around Merritt, and in 1920 married Lula Hill. Her father was a travelling carpenter from Min nesota and helped to build many of the long wooden irrigation flumes in the Kamloops area.

David started working for the Company in Trail in 1921. He was working in the pilot mill when the newly completed Concentrator in Kimberley needed a man with some experience, so he was sent over in 1924.

David and Lula had two sons, Glen and Larry, and they came to a house in the middle of Chapman Camp in the spring of 1925. The boys grew up here and attended the Chapman Camp school up to grade six and completing the higher grades in Kimberley.

Lulu and David Brown

David was an operator in the Concentrator and became the chief operator in the tin smelter when it opened. In 1942 he transferred to the Mine as a timberman, until he retired in June of 1965. His wife Lula passed away a month later. She was active in the United Church and her hobbies were embroidery and crocheting. David liked hunting and fishing. He passed away in the summer of 1978.

Glen was active in school sports and was a member of the Track and Field team when Al Frobisher was the coach. He played basketball on a team called the McDougall Memorials and recalls some of his teammates: Butch Zak, Alex Caldwell, Russell Shaw, and Charlie Lee. He played softball on a team called the Legionnaires with George Lindsay, Jim Kelly, Norman Gill, Jake Jacobson and Jack Corbett.

In 1940 Glen started his apprenticeship in the electric shop at the Mine and is now an electrical boss underground.

He married Frances Plant in 1943 and they had three sons: Wayne, Gary and Darryl. Wayne is now married to Marilyn Stuart of Fernie and lives in Happy Valley with their two children: Tracey Leigh and Kevin. He owns the Kimberley Motors in Marysville. Gary died at sixteen, Darryl completed all his schooling in Kimberley and is now attending the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in Calgary, studying electronics.

Glen's brother, Larry, was only twenty-seven when he died in 1958, leaving his wife, the former Charlotte Rondesvedt and three children: Louise, Sheree and David. Larry worked for the Northern Construction when they were driving the 3700 foot level. He left the Company to work at Bralorne and then to Vancouver to drive an ambulance. He died in Vancouver.

Glen spent one year in the Navy in Nova Scotia, but did not see action. It was here he became interested in playing bridge. When he came home, he, Ted Herron, Ralph Chatterson and George Webber became a formidable team. Frances also enjoys the game and one day the Browns and the Herrons drove to Medicine Hat to learn the rules and procedures of duplicate bridge and came back to start a club in Kimberley. Glen and Spencer Clark won the first duplicate bridge game competition played in the McDougall Hall. Glen is now a bridge Life Member.

Glen is nearing retirement and has given up hunting, but they enjoy camping in their trailer, and square dancing, as well as playing bridge.

Twitter Facebook Google+


Banner Ad