The Independent Order of Oddfellows, Sullivan Lodge No. 35 was instituted in Kimberley on September 4, 1923. The Charter members were: Pont Johnson, John W. Blezard, Robert E. Pemberton, Wm. S. Green, R. E. Robson and W. M. Young.
Twenty-two members were initiated at the institution ceremonies that were conducted by D. H. Proudfoot, Grand Master for the Jurisdiction of B.C.
In October, 1925 construction was started on a new hall on Deer Park Avenue, across the street from the Public School and the first meeting was held on January 22nd, 1926. The new hall was finished in the Spring of 1926, with the upper floor designed for lodge activities and the lower floor for dances and social events.
The Department of National Defense leased the lower floor for an Armoury from 1937 to 1969 and it was used by the 8th Field Battery and 8th Platoon R.M.R.'s. In 1976 the Kimberley Arts Council bought the building and converted it into an arts and crafts center — "Centre 64".
The Sullivan Lodge with the Rebekahs sponsored the Kimberley Air Cadets Squadron No. 226 from October, 1949 to April, 1972. The sponsorship was later taken over by the Royal Canadian Legion and the Rebekahs.
The Sullivan Lodge and the Rebekahs have taken an active part in the community and have contributed to many projects, as the Myopia fund, Telethon, Children's camp at White Rock. They also furnished a room in the "Pines" Care Home, cater to the Senior Citizens luncheons and assist in many other projects.
Honorary Life Memberships were bestowed on Harold Andrews, Ernie Nesbitt, Art Bryant, Alf Watkins, Murray Helliesen, and Percy Lye.
For inquiries or submissions to Kimberley Keepers, please contact us at:
email@example.com - Click Here